In my quest for serving more protein for my growing boys I stumbled on to a gem of a recipe for bolognese sauce on NY Times Cooking site. I have tried this several times with awesome results and get a lot of compliments for this. “It’s like eating in a restaurant” is what I hear often – I am not a great cook and not an expert in making pasta dishes so that compliment says a lot about this recipe.
The recipe – Marcella Hazan’s Bolognese Sauce – can be found here. Some notes on this:
- Toss pasta with baby spinach or kale. More veggies…yay!
- I prefer using San Marzano tomatoes
- Used fresh tomatoes once when I didn’t have canned. Boiled the tomatoes a bit and peeled the skin off before chopping them into pieces. To get that canned tomato flavor added about a tbsp of ketchup
- I don’t cook for 3 hours – one to one and half hour seems to work fine
- I use cabernet sauvignon for this. Crane Lakes (I get it at Wegmans) is great at around $3 per bottle
- Nutmeg is optional. I cooked several times without nutmeg and it turned out fine.
- Basil…can never go wrong with this!