A perfect week night dinner – takes less than 30 minutes to get on the table…of course, only if you use store made falafels. One day I would like to make falafels from scratch but last night when I was short on time I decided to make it a Meditteranean night with some pre-made falafels I picked up from Costco – Hannah Organics Falafel Veggie Patties. I prefer pocket pitas to pita wraps – especially with messy eaters pockets come in handy. With hummus, tahini sauce, greek yogurt and dill sauce, and salad it was a simple and quick dinner. And kid approved!
Next on my list trying to make falafel from scratch. That should be fun!
- 6 pita pockets (3 whole pocket pitas cut into halves)
- 12 falafel patties
- Small red onion diced
- A cup of diced bell peppers – I used red, yellow and orange
- A large tomato seeded and diced
- A small cucumber peeled and diced (if you are using grated cucumber in yogurt sauce you don’t need this)
- Shredded lettuce
- A pinch of Harissa (optional)
- Tahini sauce (recipe below)
- Yogurt sauce (recipe below)
- Mint chutney (optional. I used store bought)
- Warm pitas in a toaster or oven
- Cut them into halves and spread a big dollop of hummus and mint chutney on the inside
- Crumble falafels and layer the pita with falafel in the bottom, and onion and vegetables on the top
- Drizzle tahini and yogurt sauce on the top
- Sprinkle a pinch of Harissa and serve
Whisk 1/2 cup of greek yogurt, juice of half lemon, half grated cucumber, 1/2 tsp dried dill, 1 clove of minced garlic and salt and pepper in a bowl. Add water to thin the sauce and adjust the seasonings.
I used Ziyad all natural Tahini and followed the recipe for tahini sauce on the bottle. The tahini tasted bitter from the start and did not make a good sauce. I should have just made sesame paste at home – we use a lot of sesame seeds in Indian cooking and I always keep sesame powder handy. This is the last time I will buy this brand, I guess!
Recipe from the bottle:
- 1 cup Tahini
- 1 1/4 cups low fat plain yogurt
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsely
- Put all ingredients except parsley and blend until smooth. Add more water for thinner sauce
- Add parsley and blend for 10 seconds