I love Food & Wine magazine and when I saw this steak recipe I had to try it. However, I wasn’t sure about the mushroom sauce that is included in the recipe. My kids are not great fans of mushroom and so I tried to hide them in a creamy sauce. Dinner today is steak tenderloin with garlicky mashed potatoes, mushroom sauce and strawberry salad.
Steak recipe is here and mushroom sauce recipe is here. The only change I made to sauce recipe is doubling the chicken stock. The rest I followed exactly and it is a delicious sauce. I used whole milk but 2% would work too. I wanted a well done steak so I put it in the oven for 9 minutes. 7-8 minutes is perfect!
Garlicky mashed potatoes:
- Russet potatoes – 3
- Unsalted butter – 3 tbsp
- Whole milk – 1/2 cup
- Garlic cloves – 2 peeled and smashed with a flat knife
- Peel and quarter potatoes
- Boil water and add a big pinch of salt; add the potatoes and cook for about 15-20 minutes
- Drain and return to pot
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over low heat and add garlic
- Mash the potatoes with garlic butter and milk
- Adjust salt and pepper